Why are there so many songs about rivers? Songwriters and singers never seem to get enough of going down to the river. They are either crossing the river holding it back. And even pissing in the river (Patti Smith) See list below
- Springsteen – The River
- Talking heads- Take me to the river
- Ella Henderson-Ghost River
- Andy Williams-Moon River
- Boney M – The Rivers of Babylon
- UB40- Many Rivers to cross
- Al Green – Take me to the river
- Justin Timberlake – Cry me a River
- James Bay – Hold back the river
- Neil Young – Down by the River
- Jimmy Cliff – Many Rivers to cross
And of course, my favorite
- Patti Smith – Pissing in a river
(Who knew? not me, that’s for sure) – It’s available to buy on Amazon for anyone who is interested.
Just because all of these artists seem to have a river at the end of their garden does not necessarily mean that the rest of us mere mortals have the same luxury.
Anyhoo I am off to fix the lock on my canal. No one writes about them, do they?
Have a great day.